Yoga is an ancient body, mind, spirit discipline originating in ancient India. It dates back more than 4000 years ago. Classical yoga is based on the sayings of Patanjali, which are collected in the book Yoga Sutras. Yoga is passed on today through the teatchings of yoga gurus.
The word "Yoga" came from the Sanskrit word "yuj" which means "to unite or integrate." Yoga then is about the union of a person's body, mind and spirit on the one hand and the union of her/his own consciousness and the universal consciousness on the other. Yoga is not just a physical exercise, but a personal development method aiming at spiritual growth. It focuses on the mental and spiritual aspects of human body, as well as the physical one.
Benefits of yoga include the following:
- Respiratory rate and blood pressure decrease.
- EEG - alpha waves (theta, delta, and beta waves also increase during various stages of meditation), cardiovascular efficiency and respiratory efficiency increase.
- Gastrointestinal function normalizes
- Endocrine function normalizes
- Excretory functions improve
- Musculoskeletal flexibility and joint range of motion increase
- Joint range of motion increase
- Eye-hand coordination improves
- Reaction time improves
- Posture improves
- Strength and resiliency increase
- Endurance increases
- Energy level increases
- Weight normalizes
- Sleep improves
- Immunity increases
- Pain decreases
- Balance improves
- Integrated functioning of body parts improves
- Mood improves and subjective well-being increases
- Anxiety and Depression decrease
- Improves memory, concentration, learning efficiency, social skills and attention.
- Well-being increases
Yoga lessons in Natur-Med are instructed by our licensed yoga teachers. Private classes in English are also available.